lundi 25 février 2013

a very lyonnais weekend


Proof that I'm home


Another fantastic weekend in the heart of Lyon. My home, my love. I had really wanted to take a break this past weekend and I couldn't think of anything better than spending that time with my adorable French family. The more I go back to Lyon, the more I'm convinced that I should just drop everything in the states and move back here after graduation. This weekend is just another sign.  Lyon loves me and I love it back. Officially. Now I just need a sexy Frenchman to complete that picture.

I spent most of the time sleeping on the train from Geneva to Lyon on Saturday morning at 7h30 every once in awhile lazily opening my eyes to glance at the cloudy skies. It was a peaceful train ride filled with dreams of flying and soaring. I dreamt of flying above the Saône river as the train took me home. It was freezing! I do believe I was unprepared for the weather this time in Lyon. After getting to my friend's house mid-morning, she asked me "Are you sure you're warm enough? You look like you're dressed for the summer!" I sheepishly admitted yes, it was cold, but at least the house was warm. However, she was insistent on getting me warmer things and set out on a mission to do so. And now I'm totally equipped for the trip this weekend to Oslo.  I think I'm more than prepared to combat the cold until spring arrives.

We also managed to get to United Colors of Benetton for the final sales. I seem to have a personal shopper with me. Every time I picked out something, she asked "Why are you choosing the colors that are so sombre? Choose something with more color!" T__T My taste in clothes is terrible. After much probing, she finally picked out some articles of clothes for me try. Thank goodness for the sales. And thank goodness for my friend and her sense of style.

We went food shopping at Monoprix. Yes, I actually told her I missed Monoprix. Thus, my accompaniment with her to the lovely store, which was nearly a necessity in my daily French life.

Monoprix

Yeah, I miss this. A lot. Both this and the marchés. And having someone fuss over me is not something I'm used to but it felt nice. I love my friend's cooking. Simple, yet elegant. Delicious and bursting with flavor. Must. Learn. To. Cook. Like. Her. It was just like the old times when she'd be cooking in the kitchen and me playing the piano in her room. She'd hear the melodies drifting into the living room/kitchen. Just as before. Oh, I adore being with Séverine and her kids.

Also, why do the French, especially her, make smoking seem so darn sophisticated and sexy? But that's something I will never start doing. Geneva lacks the sophistication and sparkle of Lyon, but I'm already so lucky to be to so close to France that I can't really complain.

It snowed on Sunday! I was definitely not expecting it would snow. My friend insisted on going out for a walk, which I was all for, in the beautiful snow. It snowed the entire time we were outside in Vieux Lyon while following the cobblestone streets and the Traboules.

Just like I always remembered

One of the many Traboules of Lyon

Beautiful, refreshing, and peaceful. I can't wait to go back again. The fact that I get to see my French family once a month is already more than what I could ever ask for. I am indeed a lucky girl.

Until next time, Lyon. Happy Monday! Bon courage à tous!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire