lundi 10 octobre 2011

not-so-pleasant experiences at consulates

I went to SF today to get a visa for China, being that I'm leaving in about a week. I had opted for a same day visa, which would require me to turn in my application before 12pm and getting the visa around 2pm-ish. So, having gotten up early this morning, I got on the BART and rode to Powell station. The walked to the consulate, which is right next to Japantown. It's about a 30 min walk. It would have been a pleasant experience if it wasn't RAINING. To be fair, it was quite overcast in the East bay, so I guess I should have known it would be raining in SF. Of course, I wasn't prepared or anything. I didn't bring an umbrella and wore flipflops. On my way there, I passed by this lovely, familiar structure:


At least it wasn't raining that hard, so I was able to not get fully soaked by the time I got to the consulate. Oh, did I mention the huge line at the consulate? I suppose it wasn't as bad as last week from what I heard. And the reason for this line is because of the Chinese National holiday. The consulate had a couple days of break, so there was backlog and everything was pushed back. I stood in line chatting with a couple of ladies who were waiting to pick up their passport. The security guy was so rude. He obviously enjoys his job. I bet he feels so peachy coming to work everyday.

To be fair, he probably gets so tired of people asking him the same question over and over again. But then again, what did he expect when he started working here?

Another guy I talked to just left the line and said he gives up and will try tomorrow. Finally, by the time I got to the door, it was....11:30am. There was another person who needed a same day visa. She had a Chinese woman with her just in case. I allowed them to stand with me, so that we could all go in at the same time. And when you get in, you have take a number. My number was 181, and the people behind the counter were only at 121.  @____@

The whole entire time, my face was like:  @________@

Again, I got lucky. The Chinese person accompanying the American lady asked someone who had a 130-something number if we could just tag along with her and say that we're together. Thank goodness the person said yes, and we were all able to get our visa application in before 12pm. Thank God for miracles.

I promptly left the consulate after that, having 2 hours to kill before picking up my passport again. Since Japantown was right around the corner, I headed there for some good Udon soup. Standing in the rain for 2 hours is...not that pleasant. After eating, I treated myself to a crêpe!! XD


Nutella, strawberries, and kiwi all rolled into one bundle of deliciousness.




My favorite stationary store in Japantown (above)


Guess we all know Halloween is coming!

Finally, at 2pm, I had to wait yet in another line to get my passport and pay for same day service. Le sigh. I talked to another guy while waiting in line. He's been away from home (Seattle) for 24 weeks now traveling the world. I envy him.

I am back in Monterey where I can just stay in bed and study. I'll attribute that to my roommate. Actually, I admire anyone who can motivate me to study like no other. Muahaha.

In 2 more days. I will be yet another year older. Time is going by too fast.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire