vendredi 20 janvier 2012

sightseeing in sf and a trip to davis

I am finally back in the bay area after..... several months. My last day of work for the next two weeks was supposed to be this past Wednesday, but I had called in sick because I was feeling sick. I think it was from fatigue in general, because now that I'm rested more, I feel better.

Yesterday (Thursday), I managed to finally get myself up to San Francisco with my two friends. Having wanted to go there for awhile now, I was so glad to have gone yesterday. I mean I did get to go to SF in October of last year, but it was hastily done because I was there stressing about getting a same-day visa for China. Yesterday, however, was spent sightseeing and going to Chinatown. We went to the SF Museum of Modern Art, a place I wanted to see for a long time but never got the chance to go. Google offers was having a deal: $18 for 2 people, which was a good deal as the regular adult price is $18. I met up my friends at Powell station and headed over to the Museum, which was about a three block walk. Upon entering the museum, we were greeted by this:


This design was pleasing to look at, and I could probably stare at this for hours. This is because it has birds fluttering in the lights.

I think the most prominent exhibitions I remember are Dieter Rams and Francesca Woodman. Here is an example of Rams' work:

coffee grinders

He promoted sustainability before the word even existed. Rams also said that a good design lasts forever and never go out of fashion.

Other works I saw included Henri Matisse, Picasso, Gorky, O'keefe and many others. We spent about a good 2 hours in there.

After that, we walked to the Contemporary Jewish museum, which I headed in by myself. It was only $5 that day because one of the exhibition was closed. I saw the Black Sabbath exhibition featuring a musical history of Black-Jewish relationship. The California Dreaming exhibition which featured Jewish life in the bay area. Also, there was this statue on display called Hagar in the Desert:


According to the Bible, Hagar was the Egyptian servant of Sarah, wife of Abraham. Because Sarah wasn't able to have children, she told Abraham to lay with Hagar. Hagar became pregnant with Ishmael, but was treated badly by Sarah. Long story short, this statue depicts Hagar with Ishmael in the desert after being kicked out of their house because Sarah didn't want Ishmael to have a share of Issac's (the long awaited son of Abraham and Sarah) inheritance. 

outside the CJM 

interesting cube structure right next to the museum

Of course, Chinatown was great as usual.

posing with the lion

Reunion of the trio after 7 months of separation

Friday was spent in rainy Davis frantically meeting up with people, since I was there just for a couple of hours. Great time, just the drive back from Davis was not fun. It was pouring rain and windy. Everyone on the road was going at 50-60 mph as was I, being that it was dark, and my vision was pretty limited. And now all I want to do is lie down and sleep. 

2 more days until Chinese New Year.
9 MORE DAYS UNTIL CLASSES START. 
OH MY GOSH.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire