jeudi 8 décembre 2011

festival of lights


It's at this time of the year I can't stop dreaming about Lyon. And one of the main reason is because the Festival of Lights (La Fête des lumières) starts today. This is one of the main events in Lyon that's so famous it attracts people from all over Europe (and everywhere else). Even the Parisians will come and enjoy this special event. I remember being so excited on the first night of the festival. It was a Wednesday, and I had just dropped off my French kids at their piano lessons. I made a stop back at my place, grabbed my camera, bag, and ran out the door. My plan was to go up to Fourviere to enjoy the fireworks. Believe it of not, there were so many people in downtown that I had to push and shove my way through. Good thing I'm petite, because it was easy to slip through the crowd. Finally, I manage to make my way to cross the bridge and get to Vieux Lyon.

Why the streets of downtown was crowded: Watching lights on St. Nizier.

When I finally got to the Funiculaire, there were so many people and a LINE. I was like, ok, I'm taking the other funiculaire up and walk to Fourviere. After finally making my way up that hill, I took my time taking some photos and enjoying the view and fireworks from top and afar. 



Candles to commemorate the Virgin Mary

Finally, after walking back down, I bought myself some vin chaud (Mulled wine) and enjoyed that before heading to my neighbors to practice the piano. 

Over the next two days, I saw more lights. This was in the middle of studying for finals, but I didn't let that get in the way. These lights were too good to miss. (Pictures are from last year) 

Downtown


La Grande roule!

Walking through downtown

Downtown

Downtown

Downtown

Place des Terreaux



Places des Celestins

I remember when I was at the Places des Terreaux looking at lights, I was trying to get closer to see the fountain. There were 2 people there and one of them said (In French): Oh, let the la petite go through. Shouldn't surprise me anymore I guess. 

I can't stop thinking about this right now, one year later. I still can feel the lights, the smell, the sights, and feel of this magical city. When I close my eyes, I can still imagine myself there, standing in the streets of Lyon and gazing at the colorful lights and design. 

One of my friends and I exchanged gifts yesterday (early I know but that's because she's leaving soon and coming back in January). She gave me a mug that had part of the map of Paris drawn cartoon style. I fell in love with it. 

Lyon, France, vous me manquez. On va rentrer bientôt.

1 commentaire:

  1. Wow! What beautiful pictures -- and a beautiful description too. Sounds magical.

    RépondreSupprimer