dimanche 20 novembre 2011

playing at the aquarium

My first day at work, over. Today will be the second day of work, staring at fishes, dealing with customers like parents and kids.

So after filling out paperwork THAT LASTED 3 HOURS, I started work yesterday. And for some ungodly reason, I woke up at 7am. I don't know what sleeping in is anymore... Maybe this is good practice for classes next semester when I have 8am classes. And then for some reason afterwards, I was an hour ahead of myself..thinking that 8am was 9am. But anyways, my roommate walked with me about 3/4th of the way to the aquarium. It was a good day for walking yesterday, unlike today because it'll rain.  

The uniform for the aquarium is the shirt that they issue you, and khaki pants. I was like....that means I have to go buy them.... Ok.... All this shopping needs to get done before Black Friday (WHICH I will not be joining in the madness) or after Friday. It's a good thing I have tomorrow off so I can take care of my errands and study. I wasn't able to study much because after work I went with my roommate to her friend's birthday party.

So, what I learned yesterday at the aquarium.

1. Every guest needs to be greeted and asked if they need help.

2. Play with the toys, because that will bring attraction for the kids.

3. Sell

4. PROMOS:
- Fused-glass jellyfishes are 39.99 dollars and until Nov 21st, you can get a lightbase for free that's normally 16.99! Did I also mention that the jellyfishes glow in the dark?

- Huge plush whales are on sale for 14.99!

- There's a 40% off table, so a lot of stuff are cheap!

- There are penguins that are also on sale for 9.99!

5. There aren't that many Asians working there, just a few. Someone thought I was another employee's sister. This hasn't happened to me since being in the East Coast where there were few Asians, so everyone thought we were all related in some way regardless of our ethnicity.

I'm starting to sound like an advertisement. Also, there are books and music in the store. So, guess what I do best? Selling books and music, of course. Any of you coming to Monterey and goes to the Aquarium are free to bug me there, that is, if you can find me. It seems all the workers are taller than me.

Also, last Friday, there was a fall forum, in which the topic was "Are you really free..?" There were 3 sessions and all of them had interpreters doing consecutive interpretation there. That was pretty cool. I stayed for all 3. My roommate was in the 3rd panel discussion interpreting from Russian to English, and I think she rocked it.

Come January time, I'm going to have my "get-ready-for-it" face on...starting school and work. Should be interesting, and hopefully, I know what I'm getting myself into.

Cheers to starting work, and the interesting things it'll bring.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire